Monday, June 9, 2008

Legacy

Sunday we had Gene Appel as a guest speaker at our church. He spoke on the topic of leaving a legacy. The message was one of the most moving I have participated in awhile, one of those that won't let you sleep.

What is my legacy? What am I doing that will make a significant impact on the world around me long after I'm gone?

Having moved several times in my life I have the advantage of seeing things in a temporary light. I have learned the hard way that we don't have infinate time to do the things we want to do or say the things we want to say. Wether it is a job relocation or a death, time is a temporary measurement and I am challenged to make sure I am using mine efficiently.

So I left here Sunday thinking about how I am using my time. Starting the preschool last year was valuable time spent, now as I set out to oversee the direction of our weekend ministry I want to make sure I am leaving a legacy of growing families in our church while not sacrificing my own.

Gene asked us to end the service by writing our Legacy statements. My statement was this: "I hope to leave a legacy of loving God with all of my heart by honoring my family and maintaining a healthy balance of home and work." I want my husband and children to know each day how much I love them.

No comments: