Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Grace through my child's eyes

School can be a cruel place for children of faith. They are bombarded from an early age of the “ways of the world” and then we ask them to make good choices and do the right things. A task that I find impossible on most days to accomplish.

One Sunday morning as I picked up my eight year old from her Sunday school class her eyes caught mine and gave me the “deer in the headlights” look. She casually (or as casual as an eight year old can be jerking her neck from side to side) motioned for me to check out the visiting classmate for the day. As my eyes glanced across the room they rested on the sight no mother ever wants to see in her child’s “safe place”, the school bully.

I casually whispered, “Let’s talk about this in the car.” On our way outside to the car my mind was racing with thoughts of frustration and anger. This child has been responsible for countless tears and hurt feelings, I didn’t want her at our church too. This was our place, this was our sanctuary from bullies!

And then my eight year old daughter taught me a valuable lesson in humility. She said, “Mom, I am so glad she was there today.” I looked at her with a shocked expression and said, “Really, why?” “Because mom, if she learns about Jesus, I know she will learn to be nice.”

God’s grace was shown to me that day through the eyes of my child.

No comments: