Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Classroom Design - Your feedback wanted!



We are in the process of painting our classrooms and giving them a more "kid friendly" atmosphere. Our building has been a multipurpose building housing all of our ministry areas, but in the spring, the space will be designated as a children's building. As we prepare for that transition we are trying to create a fun and exciting atmosphere.

From the beginning of our church life each classroom identified itself with an animal; ducks, bears, turtles, etc. In this interim time, before we deck out the building with a wild and fun movie theatre feel, I'm curious to know what you think about saying good bye to our animals. Strictly using the age of the child to identify the room.

Thank you for your feedback!

4 comments:

C. URNER said...

I like having a name rather then an age to identify the kids rooms with. It make the kids feel a sense of identity rather then just an age or grade. I know this works for the younger ages, 2nd grade and up I'm not sure they really care as long as they are accepted and loved for who they are.My daughter loves being a Turtle. For a while there she had to ask what she was going to be on a particular day, a Wolf Cub or a Turtle, just to make sure which hat she was going to wear that day. I don't feel it has to be animal names, may be movie names, Like Theater 1,2,3, and so on or Popcorn Kernels, Soda pops, jujubes' etc. or many be even along the lines of ratings G, PG, PG -5th grade. Just some thoughts. I hope you enjoy doing the make over, it looks great so far.

Charlie H said...

Kelly:

I do think the kids identify with the animal names...although there are times I have forgotten which animal I am a lead teacher for...

Took me six months to remember that I am a duck...slow learner...but this duck is willing to go numeric, too.

Charlie Huntington

Dawn said...

Hey Kelly,
I agree with Christine 100%. I think just saying ages is boring, and I'd like to think our church is a little more creative than that. Besides, our kids are always associated with their age, why not an animal or candy bar? I think that's fun (my friend's kids love going to Hershey Park each year and seeing what candy bar they've "grown" into.) I love the idea of making it movie themed!

Unknown said...

I think that we should stay w/ some type of theme names. Whether it be animals or movie related I think they kids like that and can relate to it.